Chicago To The Big Easy
Dates: Nov 16, 2017 - Nov 26, 2017
Travel: By Riverboat & Train
Duration: 11 Days
Priced From: $3,999 per person
Join us on a rare journey from Chicago to New Orleans this Fall by vintage train and America's only deluxe riverboat, the elegant and intimate 150 passenger 'Louisiane'. With luxurious staterooms, many with private balconies, extraordinary dining overseen by famed American chef Regina Charboneau, superb entertainment and an all-American crew, the 'Louisiane' offers a level of excellence in river cruising unequaled in North America. Best of all, you will see America up close, past sites little change in 200 years with great ports of call like colorful Memphis, the home of the Blues and Beale Street, lovely Natchez, the crown jewel on the Mississippi River and renowned Oak Alley Plantation, all on the way to a superlative destination, New Orleans. With fabled hotels in Chicago and New Orleans, a vintage Streamliner train, America's finest riverboat and time to enjoy New Orleans, there is simply no finer way to travel from the Midwest to the Crescent City.
- Fully hosted from start to finish by professional tour manager to handle all of the details.
- Two-night stay at the fabled Palmer House Hilton in Chicago along with plenty of free time to enjoy the Windy City, including a special dinner at Lawry’s Prime Rib.
- Travel by vintage vista-dome Streamliner train, the 'Louisiane Limited' from Chicago to St Louis, a day trip over the Union Pacific Railroad. All meals, wines & spirits aboard the vintage train are included as is a transfer from the Palmer House Hilton to Union Station and in St Louis.
- Seven day voyage aboard the 'Louisiane' from Memphis to New Orleans. Not only are all meals included aboard the Louisiane but so are cocktails, wines and spirits and there is no charge for specialty coffees, bottled water, soft drinks or wi-fi. There is a choice of dining venues including the casually elegant Veranda, a grand dining room and a choice of lounges including Bar Royale and the stylish French Quarter Lounge, graced by some of the finest entertainment afloat.
- Special amenities including macaroons from Laduree, the famed Parisian macaroon maker, Vosges Haut-Chocolat, bathroom amenities from L'Occitane en Provence, even café au lait and beignets by Café du Monde, the legendary New Orleans institution. Other riverboats may occasionally visit New Orleans, we call it home, with all of the style and passion for music and dining Louisiana is famed for.
- Our ports include colorful Memphis, Greenville, historic Vicksburg, enchanting Natchez, Baton Rouge and Oak Alley, Louisiana before our arrival in New Orleans. We have included shore excursions in every port, allowing you to see and enjoy even more.
- Overnight stay at the grande dame of New Orleans hotels, the storied Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter. Naturally, transfer from the riverboat, luggage handling and breakfast is included.
DAY 1: Arrive Chicago
Guests arrive in Chicago by train and transfer to the Palmer House Hilton in the heart of downtown for our overnight stay in the Windy City. All evening is at leisure tonight.
DAY 2: Chicago
All day free to enjoy the delights of Chicago including the Magnifient Mile, Millenium Park, the Field Museum and much more. Tonight, a special welcome dinner at Lawry’s The Prime Rib! (D)
DAY 3: All Aboard
A mid-morning departure from the hotel brings us to Chicago’s Union Station to board our special train, the “Louisiane Limited” bound for St. Louis. Later this afternoon we arrive St. Louis and check into our hotel for the evening.
DAY 4: Set Sail
A mid-morning departure from the hotel for Memphis where we enjoy lunch and a sightseeing tour before embarking the riverboat “Louisiane” for our six night voyage to New Orleans. Tonight there is a choice of dining in the Veranda high atop the boat or the opulent Crescent Room followed by some of the finest entertainment afloat. (L, D)
DAY 5: Greenville, MS
Delve into the shrouded past at Winterville Mounds, an archaeological site that offers a rare look into the lives of early American peoples. Grasp how the Mississipi Delta played a key role for natives centuries before Europeans stumbled upon it. (B,L,D)
DAY 6: Vicksburg, MS
Hear the distant echoes of Ulysses S. Grant's call to arms as he lay a 47-day siege to the city, now immortalized at the essential Vicksburg National Military Park, which houses the ironclad USS Cairo, victim of the first torpedo. (B, L, D)
DAY 7: Natchez, MS
Historic Natchez with its impressive collection of more than 200 antebellum homes is our destination today and you will want to have your camera handy. Explore the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians, visit historic Jefferson College, or just amble down the Natchez Trace. (B,L,D)
DAY 8: Baton Rouge, LA
Tour the exceptional and fascinating Rural Life Museum, with its extensive collection of 19th and early 20th century artifacts and buildings, before heading into the proud and lively Louisiana state capital. Take time at the new and old State Capitols, both handsome and striking edifices in their own right. (B,L,D)
DAY 9: Vacherie (Oak Alley)
Located in the Saint James Parish, the name of this bayou town derives from the French for dairy farm. It's pronounced VASH-uh-ree. It's the site of Oak Alley, a much-photographed plantation that combines architectural splendor and the natural wonder of its canopy of 300year old oak trees. (B,L,D)
DAY 10: New Orleans, LA
After breakfast, we disembark in New Orleans and enjoy a sightseeing tour that offers up the loveley Garden District and a visit to Café du Monde before arriving at our hotel with the balance of the day at leisure and plenty of time to visit the D-Day museum or to explore the French Quarter. Tonight is our special Farewell Dinner. Overnight at the storied Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter. (B,D)
DAY 11: Journey Home
Guests check-out of the hotel this morning and travel home.
These richly furnished suites offer panoramic window views, and a windowed door that opens to a spacious promenade with a seating area. These suites feature a double armoire with built-in drawer storage, a chest of drawers, a desk and a queen-sized bed. Guests will enjoy evening canapés, complimentary laundry service, roundtrip airport transfers by private car in embarkation and disembarkation ports and fresh fruit and flowers upon arrival. As a Richelieu Suite guest, you will also enjoy included Curator’s Collection shore excursions throughout your voyage
These oversized staterooms, nearly 30 percent larger than our Veranda Staterooms, feature a French balcony and a queen-sized bed. Each offers a double armoire with built-in drawer storage, a desk and a chair. Guests will enjoy fresh fruit and flowers upon arrival, complimentary laundry service and evening canapés.
These elegant staterooms offer panoramic window views, a private veranda with seating area, a double armoire with built-in drawer storage, a chest of drawers and two standard-sized twin beds that convert to one queen-sized bed.
These stylish staterooms feature windows and a windowed door that opens to an expansive promenade seating area. Each offers a double armoire with built-in drawers and two standard-sized twin beds that convert to one queensized bed.
French Balcony Stateroom
These luxurious staterooms are gracefully furnished and include a French balcony to absorb the ever-changing landscape. Each offers a double armoire with built-in drawer storage, a desk, a seating area and two standard-sized twin beds that convert to one queen-sized bed.
Deluxe Inside Stateroom
Tastefully appointed with a large mirror and a double armoire, these staterooms feature two standard-sized twin beds that convert to one queensized bed.
Superior Inside Stateroom
Artfully appointed with a large mirror and a double armoire, these staterooms feature two standard-sized twin beds that convert to one queensized bed.
Fares are per person, double occupancy, and do not include applicable port charges and fees of $235 per person.
A Single Supplement of 50% is available only for the Deluxe, French Balcony, Promenade and Verandah Staterooms.